DraftKings, one of the leading sports betting and daily fantasy sports companies in the United States, has recently joined the ranks of the National Council on Problem Gambling (NCPG) as a Platinum Member. This move is a big win for responsible gambling efforts in the United States especially now that there are several new states legalizing sports betting across the country. As it stands, there have been a lot of development and subsequent implementations of responsible gambling measures. Still, DraftKings’ decision to join the council is a very big deal.
The sports betting operator will be helping the NCPG to build upon some of its initiatives that include the Safer Sports Betting Initiative as well as the Internet Responsible Gambling Standards. All of these are designed specifically to help gambling operators in the country to operate while keeping the welfare of their customers in mind.
For instance, there will be even more emphasis on extensive problem gambling prevention, treatments as well as education and research programs. All this will be complemented by a number of innovative responsible gambling policies that the members of the organization came up with.
“We are excited to work with DraftKings to utilize technology and data to increase our mutual understanding of player behavior and reduce the risks for gambling problems,” Keith Whyte, the executive director of NCPG said.
Naturally, more sports betting and gambling operators are expected to join the organization in order to further their responsible gambling efforts in the US. This is becoming increasingly important due to the massive growth of the global gaming industry and the accessibility of such services.
NCPG Unveils New Advisory Board
Prior to announcing that it had added DraftKings to its list of members, the NCPG also unveiled ten new members of its Advisory Board. The board consists of industry experts who include representatives from GVC, Las Vegas Sands, IAGA, and Massachusetts Gaming Commission among others. They are:
- Maria-Christina Annaloro – Director of Government Relations & Social Sciences, Las Vegas Sands
- Kirsten Clark – Executive Director, International Association of Gaming Advisors (IAGA)
- Steve Crosby – Founding Board Chair, Massachusetts Gaming Commission
- Don Feeney – The current President, Northstar Alliance on Problem Gambling
- Maureen Greeley – The Executive Director, Evergreen Council on Problem Gambling
- Martin Lycka – Director of Regulatory Affairs, GVC
- Reece Middleton – Former Executive Director, Louisiana Association on Compulsive Gambling
- Ray Pineault – President & General Manager, Mohegan Sun
- Richard Schuetz – Schuetz Inc.; Former Commissioner, California Gambling Control Commission
- Marlene Warner – Executive Director, Massachusetts Council on Compulsive Gambling; Former NCPG Board President
The ten new board members will be bringing a ton of experience and industry expertise which will be crucial in the quest for a safer and more conducive gaming environment.